Re: [RC] 25's, 50's, Awards - Carol Suggs

Juli, I have to totally agree with this post.  (although I don't "endurance ride" ) my VERY BEST RIDE on one of my mares was at a show in 2001 (?) and it was a large class (over 25 entrants in the ring at the same time).  My horse was awesome.  She was listening to me, she did everything I asked for perfectly, it was like we were one finely tuned machine.  Guess what?  We didn't place.  When I asked the judge later what I could have don't differently he said that I caused a wreck and blew up the horse in front of me and that was why he didn't "use me"....apparently the judge had gotten me confused with another rider who was also wearing black on a sorrel horse.   At that time I only had my entry number on one side of my horse and it couldn't be seen from the other side.  The rider he confused me with also had her number on the other side of the horse.  Lesson learned, I always have my entry number on BOTH side of my horse or on my back now.  But although I was upset that I didn't place in that class, it was most definately my best ride and one that I will never forget.  Another was up in the high county on a scary ledge with rocks and loose shale...but I will leave that for another time!

Carol-Mariposa, CA
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 7:28 AM
Subject: [RC] 25's, 50's, Awards

Most of the recent posts are about awards, receiving recognition, whether people feel welcome.  Maybe it is time we talked about personal rewards that are a little less transitory. The best ride of my life was a ride I did not complete. Why?  Because on that one occasion I knew I rode my horse better than I had ever ridden a horse before. It was thirty years ago.  I have never duplicated it. On only two occasions in 40 years of endurance riding have I  felt totally in harmony with a horse---they were brief, but memorable.  I was alone both times. And I soared. Believe me, I would trade every award I have ever won before I would give up even one of the memories of those three events. So maybe we, as riders, should change our perspective a bit and quit worrying about who got the best tee shirt. Regardless of the distance ridden, our sport offers far greater rewards.    Julie