Re: [RC] Dr Ribley and BC's for LD's - Peggety123

Heidi,

I love your post!  It's Peggy from California who spoke with you, at length, about this issue at the Owyhee ride.

You put it so well!  I have ridden many LD miles, by choice this year, in 4 different regions, and I have to say that what I observed, while riding these miles, with this particular group of riders, was a very caring and fun-loving group of people out to have fun on a "limited distance ride" (I don't remember overhearing anyone talking about an LD ride should be considered "endurance" - I personally don't believe that either - it is a completely different category of competition within the AERC).  There were some who were obviously out to "win", but what I saw mostly good looking horses at the end - nothing whipped and exhausted.  I don't remember ever seeing any horses getting treated at the end.

Here in the West, several times I heard the lecture (at the pre ride meeting) "because we don't want to promote racing, we will not be giving any placings in our LD ride" or "we consider LD to be a training ride, so we are not giving any placings".
I was training and conditioning and competing my horse while riding in the LD - it was not just a "training ride" for me.  It was an LD competition.  The majority of the people weren't on wild, young green horses either.

The few opportunities I had to show for BC were really great!  It was refreshing to be given an opportunity to truly show off my horse, that I had worked hard to ride to the best of his ability, and to have the possibility of the coveted BC, which I would be very proud to have on our record!

Wherever this BC for LD thing goes, in terms of the way it is judged, it must be STANDARDIZED so EVERYONE has an opportunity to compete for an award that is such a feather in one's cap.  Right now we have regional awards for LD BC, and these are great horses who win them, but this award is not a representation of a TRUE champion, as not all LD horses in have the opportunity to show.  If your goal for the year is to win the BC for LD award, it is silly that you have to look for rides that offer you an opportunity to show for BC, not to mention, expensive, if you end up having to travel to other regions to collect your points.  I think that's really unfair.

The LD category of competition within the AERC has a new breed of rider, the majority of them who are very concerned with the welfare of their horses and who ride at this level for reasons other than training their horse.

I believe that LD mileage should be separate from endurance - LD is not endurance.

I also believe that having a BC for LD helps to promote "smart riding" by the competitors.

I rode with Dot Wiggins at the Owyhee ride and enjoyed hearing stories from her riding career - I watched her win BC for LD, and her horse looked so great and she was so proud.  It felt good riding with someone from the "old school" and hearing that they understand how this sport has evolved and are in total support of rewarding riders for good horse management, no matter what the distance!

Peggy Eaton (who took a while to speak up, but finally has!)
West