[RC] awards and distance ridden - Mary Ann Spencer

I really like something more tangible than T shirts.  In the 80s, we got T shirts and I still have a few around with holes in them.  The plan was always to 'elevate' to the next distance, ie 30-50 after 'surviving' the shorter distance.  The plan was also to use the LD as behavior training as well as conditioning.  Now all these yrs later, the plan is about the same.  I like a few T shirts but the XXLs are more like night shirts and hence not an award that can't be shown to others.  Therefore that $100 T shirt is not an efficient item dollar wise.  However, I  DO like to see others who are wearing their T shirts, that actually fit, as I can go say "HI I see you are an endurance rider" which I have done on more than one occasion.

I did some 'shows' and have some ribbons but the BEST award I have is the BUCKLE as I can wear it when ever I have the occasion to wear my dress up jeans.  I did not get the buckle from endurance but from a show series but it proves to me each time I wear it I did the training and I did the showing and that I 'CAN' when I have the time.   I also have a few SIMPLE but  very nice PLAQUES that don't fade with washings and are nice to remind me of what I have accomplished.

Many folks have to work shift work and then try trading someone for a weekend off?  Yeah, right!!!  Being able to 'go the distance' and keep family intact and still have the money to repair the tow vehicle and pay the bills is probably the biggest challenge.

Due to the time it takes to do the conditioning, and the energy, the average person starts out behind the curve ball.  Many have some sort of 'support'.  Many of us don't.   Each person needs to evaluate the why, etc of persuing this sport.   Like anyother equestrian sport, you and the horse have the ability or don't.

The PLUS for endurance is that you can do your own training without fancy trainers.  In the 'show' world, you better be REALLY talented with a good trainer and a really well trained horse to go anywhere.  Endurance you get to ride longer.  Many who show don't want to stay that long in the saddle.   If you want the shows with the high dollar return, there is still a price for that.  They may win $30,000 but the horse cost more than that as well as all the other incidentals.

Endurance started out like a 'grassroots' type of competition and I hate to see it get so fancy that ordinary folks can't ride.