Re: [RC] Wild Animal Encounters - Chris Paus

We have an abundance of coyotes around here, but dont' see too many on trail. I've chased a bobcat down the trail once, hollering at my dog, LEAVE THAT KITTY ALONE.  He had tangled with a bobcat once before and came home with a shredded ear.

Today I went riding in a harvested farm field. Two big white tails and a huge flock of about a dozen or more turkeys. I've been dumped over turkeys before!

chris

Carolyn Burgess <carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since everyone is talking about their encounters with wildlife, I have a story to share as well.  This happened back in 96, my first horse, a Standardbred mare who was BOMB PROOF, we were on a trail ride.  Nothing phased this horse.  Not dirtbikes, dogs, people, baby carriages, bicycles, guns, nothing.  We were out with a friend on her horse and we encountered to other riders.  We stopped to talk at the edge of a field where there was some overgrowth/tall grass.  My mare started to dance and jig, not like her.  She would usually stand quietly.  But she was all over the place.  This went on for a few minutes, and I finally got her to quiet down, but she was still very agitated.  We were in this same spot for at least 5 minutes when directly out from under her (literally between her legs) popped a coyote!  How we managed to surprise this creature and end up standing on top of it, I have no idea.  It was spring time, so we could have been on her den, but this was in the middle of a large field, an unlikely spot for a den.

Carolyn Burgess

"Kindness is the mightiest force in the world.
Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com