[RC] Ground Flax - Mom Alexander

I also feed my mare ground flax for her midge allergy, but I just started about a month ago and don?t see anything happening yet. (still VERY itchy, rubbing head and neck raw. )  I was told to feed 1/3 cup a day.  She is 4 yrs. old and about 900 lbs., should I be giving her more?  And I was also giving it to my other horses for the Omega's.  I did grind up a whole 5 gallon bucket full, put a tight lid on it and kept it in a cool, dry place, and it did not go bad. But now I'm just grinding up a weeks worth at a time, I had the same thought about it losing something over time after its ground.  I'm also using MTG on my mare for the itch, keep her fly sprayed etc., but so far nothing seems to work.  My vet said we could give her daily doses of Dexamethasone which help the itch a lot, but it's not good long term and can cause laminitis...well forget that!  I do live in Florida and there are bugs down here that the rest of the world has never seen I'm sure, and the poor horses with allergies... I feel so bad for her, she seems to always be scratching or looking for something to scratch on.  Many times I have thought of selling her to someone further north to alleviate her suffering.  If her allergies get any worse, I may have to.  If anyone has tried anything that might work, at this point I'll try it.  Maybe I'm just not feeding enough flax.  Thanks for your help!        Vicki and Moon