From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:36:45 GMT
Subject: [RC] Toxic amount of acorns?

Need some advice. Saturday, when I went out to feed Kaboot he just stood about
10 ft. away and didn't offer to walk to his bucket. Big alarm. I tried to lead
him forward and he was *extremely* hesitant to move and seemed to breath hard
when he did take a couple of steps. No sign of lameness..no evidence of colic,
bright eyed. I took his pulse and it was 40, 32 is probably resting but it's
usually higher just because he's always looking around. Temp was 101.8. No sign
of founder stance but did seem to keep his left fore flexed at the knee as if
getting ready to take a step but not taking it and shivering some (it was cold
but he doesn't usually shiver). No sign of injury. His gut sounds were present,
more active low than high. Didn't really take his respiration but it seemed
normal except when I made him move and then I could hear it...sort of raspy, but
not like rattly, no nasal drainage. Not acting colicy.

So, I gave him paste banamine and within 20 or 30 minutes he started eating hay
and seemed back to normal. It didn't look like colic but the banamine seemed to
fix it.

That evening Bonnie mentioned that she saw him going down the hill and he seemed
really stiff in the rear end. I watched him and he just looked like he was
moving like an OLD horse...or like a horse with a heavy coat on a hot day (it
had gotten warm) that's just feeling really sluggish.

Monday Josie mentioned that the others ran & trotted up to eat and he walked
slowly the whole way (he's been eating normally all week). I trotted him out and
he is not lame or stiff, but didn't leap into his trot out like usual.

Yesterday I saw him going down the hill very slowly again. It's cold now. The
ONLY thing I can think of is that he's been eating lots of acorns. I looked them
up on the net but only get notes that they're mildly toxic in large
amounts...low risk. Kaboot loves acorns and there's several oaks in his field.
I've seen him down there sifting through the leaves for them.

Do these sound like the sort of symptoms a horse would get from eating too many?
I've now locked him in the stall to see if being off the field changes anything.
This morning he was more like his old self, swinging his head in a circle
demanding breakfast but he may just be lively because he hates being locked up.
He had eaten all his hay, pooped and wanted his grain but he hadn't drank much
water. (he doesn't care if water's cold. Has never taken a sip of any warmed
water I've offered him and always drinks enough cold..night time temps in low
30's)

By the way, I went down to see if I could rake the acorns but they're all sifted
down into the dirt. He's searching them out.

Angie