Re: [RC] Hold time on an LD ride. - LSimoni197

I sure agree that an Hour hold time on a LD ride hurts rather than helps the young horse.
The horse must cover the trail faster because of the longer hold.  Remember that some of these are first time horses, and the riders choose to leave the starting line late to avoid that race mentality.  Well, on a long mileage trail, you just cut out the time to eat some grass, or wait for drinking at a water hole.  A young horse frequently does not stretch out it's gates yet.
I suppose the problem occurs on high attendance loop rides with only one place for the vet. check.  Hard to vet all the horses through in 1/2 hour.  I have been there, done that, and had to canter the last 3 miles on a first time horse.  I hated the hour hold, and really blamed it for the pace my horse had to go to finish on time.

Lynge