Re: [RC] [RC] Midwest horse feeding and riding buddies - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/14/2005 6:39:13 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My neighbor moved here last year, was feeding her horse alfalfa at night, grass hay in the morning.  I told her I thought that was not correct, she checked with her own vet & was told to switch to the grass hay at night for heat generation.

My horses like having a lot of grass hay at night cause I can throw them a lot of it and they can eat it, walk away from it, walk back to it and eat some more.

Throw them nice alfalfa (at night) and they'll be standing around longer without forage in front of them...having "wolfed" it down quickly because it's so tasty.

So, grass seems to fit the rhythm of the horse's system better (at night) than alfalfa.  And, keeping active can generate calorie burning.

Here in western Nebraska the winter nights can be so downright inhospitable for horses that paying attention to fresh water, good forage (preferably grass with just a little alfalfa) and exercise can mean the difference between a live horse and a dead one...particularly for horses unable to use the natural terrain to find those low spots out of the darn wind.

Frank