[RC] Lecture re: How does a Pig Squeal - rides2far

Tom,

I believe if I raised pigs I would eat *more* pork. Every time a cow
spooks my horse I go eat a burger in retaliation. I live in a
neighborhood on the outskirts of a metropolis where quite a few
"gentlemen farmers" have set up housekeeping. My neighbor whose yard I
ride through to get to my trail decided to raise a pig as a pet (you know
they're supposed to be *so* intelligent!) Within months I was having to
coax my horse past a 500 lb. sow who lay in the front yard with her chin
on a dogfood dish...until my horse was just even with the front gate at
which time she would explode snorting and running towards us. Talk about
some training heart rates! Fortunately for me a lovesick sow is about the
most lovesick of animals. While in this state the above sow smashed her
way into their prize AQHA stallion's stall and tried to force herself
upon him. (he went over the wall rather than lose his honor). Then when
the owner attempted to retrieve the sow (which was now busy humping a
muck bucket) she attacked her as she tried to run away and ripped her
shirt off. The above pet was soon lured into the back of a horse trailer
where she was delivered to the packing house and the owner insisted on
having the honor of pulling the trigger.

Next my New Age-ish neighbor got a pair of pot bellied pigs but soon
decided the male's attitude towards the female reminded her of her
ex-husband's attitude towards her and she had him roasted (the average
city slicker is getting a bit more comfortable with killing I've
noticed).

And to make this endurance related....Remember Matthew Mackay-Smith's old
analogy about how you apply stress to tear the bone down, the the body
comes back and lays down more bone to make it stronger? Well, my version
of that lecture for this region is to imagine the green horse's bone as a
nice new hog fence. You put the hogs in and they get out...so you tie a
pallet to the fencing in the spot where they got out. Then they get out
again and you pile up concrete blocks in the hole. Each time the hog
damages the fence you build it back stronger until you eventually have a
hog proof fortress made of car bumpers, tires, blocks, tree stumps, etc.
etc. :-)

Angie