Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 8:47 PM
Subject: [RC] Great Ride Today :)

Had a great ride today (17 1/2 miles) on my 5 yr old gelding.  The woods were full of hunters (3-day weekend), so we rode a road loop near my house.  Most were quiet, little-travelIed gravel roads, but I came back along busy hwy 30 for about 4 miles, which has a nice mowed 40+ foot wide right-of-way on either side, so it's nice to ride on if your horse doesn't mind tons of traffic zipping by, which Sundance doesn't.  What was really funny was watching all the drivers.  We were riding so that the lane closest to us was on-coming (I prefer to see vehicles coming toward me).  People were darn near breaking their necks to stare at us.  As we trotted and sometimes cantered along, I tried to figure out what was so darned interesting about us.  Granted, not many people ride along Hwy 30, but it had to be something else.  Could have been our speed - most road riders walk, or if they're jogging/trotting, the rider is bouncing along, not posting.  We were moving out at a good 9-10 mph trot (according to my GPS), interspersed with periods of cantering.  Guess it could have been Sundance's screaming green biothane headstall and breast collar...contrasts quite nicely with his bright chestnut coloring.  Don't see much green tack in these parts. <G>  Or maybe it was my tights and helmet... "what the...she obviously ain't from around these parts..."  Whatever it was, we generated lots of rubbernecking.  <VBG>  All too soon the 4 or so miles were over and we turned off on our road, which is much less travelled, and people there are used to my husband and I zipping up and down the road on various horses.  It was a pretty day to be out on a good horse.

Dawn in East Texas
and Epic Sundance (I'm sure everyone was admiring my good looks)

"Kindness is the mightiest force in the world.
Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com