[RC] Saddle pad heat comparison - Kathy Copeland

Title: Saddle pad heat comparison

Testing in a "real world" environment as Kathy Copeland's daughter did = is commendable but not completely scientific. There are just too many = variables that will affect the results. Each horse has different levels = and usage of caloric energy (heat). The use of an under saddle = thermometer is not as accurate as using thermo-couplers that record = temperature every five seconds. Additionally taking temperatures after = the saddle and pad is removed from the horse will effect the results. = Ambient temperatures, elevation, and humidity will also effect the = results. In Project Number J1104 done by Alicia Copeland for the 2005 = California State Science Fair no indication was made of outside = temperature, wind speed, humidity levels or where the testing took = place. Their tests took place in the Sierras during the March timeframe = (when it is still fairly cold and windy). The results of this project = showed a nominal difference between the Equipedic pad and the Supracor = pad.

Well since we are riding our horses in the "real world" and not a controlled chamber then I would personally want to know how something works in the "real world".  What you read about under the project was only a brief description (because this is all they wanted on that particular form) of all that went into the project, not the complete study with all the facts in it (which by the way was turned in on other forms). Temperatures by the way were not taken when after the horses were unsaddled and the pad removed.  They were actually taken throughout the ride at certain mileage points on all the horses used in the test. Since thermo couplers are not a dime a dozen she used an under the saddle thermometer she purchased from Roger Rittenhouse.  We have not and never will say that you do not have a good pad, as a matter of fact I ride with one on a frequent basis.  My daughter just wanted to compare the top pads so that is what she did, she did it as scientifically as possible for working in the" real world" and her results are what they are.  Our own personal thoughts on the pads were that they were both great pads, each with it's upside as well as it's downside and one must consider what will work best for them and their horse. We did not ever post this project to ridecamp because I didn't want her to get slammed about it. I have no financial game in this end ever but am "DAMMED PROUD" of my daughter and all of her hard work.

Team Slow Poke
Kathy Copeland