[RC] EquiPedic Heat Comparison Testing - Richard Sacks

Yes, the test performed for us were static tests done without live horses. The reason we chose to do these tests were to determine the effects of heat on the materials used in a variety of saddle pads. We had the lab eliminate the effects of evaporative cooling, ambient conditions (wind speed, elevation, humidity, etc.) so that they were comparing apples to apples. The tests were done at extreme temperatures (110 degrees Fahrenheit and above) that would be detrimental if not lethal to live animals. Testing was done multiple times at the same time of day in a controlled environmental chamber and averages were used to generate the charts.

In order to do this type of testing on live animals in a controlled environment would require an enclosed environmental chamber large enough to house a horse and a treadmill. There are few of these available in the world. Purina Mills has such a facility but they have not been willing to allow us to use their facilities.

Testing in a "real world" environment as Kathy Copeland's daughter did is commendable but not completely scientific. There are just too many variables that will affect the results. Each horse has different levels and usage of caloric energy (heat). The use of an under saddle thermometer is not as accurate as using thermo-couplers that record temperature every five seconds. Additionally taking temperatures after the saddle and pad is removed from the horse will effect the results. Ambient temperatures, elevation, and humidity will also effect the results. In Project Number J1104 done by Alicia Copeland for the 2005 California State Science Fair no indication was made of outside temperature, wind speed, humidity levels or where the testing took place. Their tests took place in the Sierras during the March timeframe (when it is still fairly cold and windy). The results of this project showed a nominal difference between the Equipedic pad and the Supracor pad.

The reason this is brought up is that the materials used in the EquiPedic pads are designed to cool the horse when it is hot and warm the horse when it is cold. Our goal is to stabilize the surface temperature of the horse to as close as standing (normal) surface temperature as possible. This is critical because as many athletes know cooling under extreme athletic stress is not always the best solution. If an athlete is cooled in colder environments where the core temperature is reduced, the result can be hypothermia. This can be as serious as heat exhaustion. Even without hypothermia, both equine and human athletes will use more energy to compensate for the cooler temperatures in an attempt to self regulate their own bodies. This additional use of energy can lower the performance of the athlete. If the athlete has to expend less energy on regulating their body temperature, they can use that energy for other purposes (i.e.: better performance).

Regardless, we stand by our claims that the EquiPedic pad will cool your horse when it is hot and warm your horse when it is cold by a 4-7 degree variable. We use the same materials used by NASA in launch and re-entry uniforms, by military and law enforcement manufacturers of body armor, Nomex firefighting suits and NASCAR race driver uniforms. I have yet to see any use of the Supracor hexagonal material used in any of these applications for cooling purposes. But I do know that at Tevis both the fourth and fifth place finishers, as well as many others, used our pad. I also know that at NAEC in FairHill the horse that received Best Condition, the Bronze Medalist, the Gold and Silver off continent medalists, and the Canadian east team all used our pads with great success.

Richard Sacks
rsacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.equipedic.com