Re: [RC] first aid for people 'thread'.. - Dyane Smith

Good info, Stephanie.  Thanks.

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
From: smuncy
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 7:59 PM
Subject: [RC] first aid for people 'thread'..

     Really like ideas bantered around about asking for rig information, ( as past ride manager, can see where that info, could really be useful, at larger rides, License plate #, other than truck & trailer description; have to say like idea of having some kind of schematic drawn up where rider comes back after parked and 'marks their spot', hmm, may have to keep that in mind, and forward to OD board. Would help friends to locate each other too. Rather then having them come in to registration asking if ' so and so' there),  and not just emergency contact - my emergency contact, would not have clue what to with horse / truck and trailer - would have to rely on fellow riders, there. Recommend every rider carry 'critical' information, more so when riding out conditioning, and alone than at ride, where others know you. I generally had info attached to horses halter in  camp,case we got seperated, but never really labeled myself, - something to think about; as generally ride alone. And need to add to bridle/ saddle.
    First rule of thumb - 'do no harm'. sometimes if not sure what to do, better to do nothing - but call, go for help. OR,  send for help and stay wiith person and offer 'moral support'. As stated, many communities have 'basic first aid' classes one can take, ( and advanced levels ), but in all actuality, when confronted with  an emergency, unless, use 'skills'  with some frequency, most people will not  know what to do; except - basics - apply pressure to bleeding, and prevent movement of obvious fractures; and sometimes better to leave those alone til more 'skilled' personnel present.( Unless, really have to move person, and often do not ). Impaled objects, quite possible; When riding through woods -( leave alone) . In other words leave them implanted, keep person still, as possible.) Same for horse, if possible;may cut off, ie. shorten object, but generally, depending where is, leave it. and secure bandage/ wrap to prevent movement of object.( I am sure some Smart A-- here will say something about leaving buddy in/on tree; you know what I referring to, - a branch ' breaks off' and impales your leg,/ arm; hopefully, not abdomen, but.. if you remove object you will have more bleeding.)
    With suspected 'serious' injury - do not give  medications, do not give food. And only sips, if any!  liquids. Unless, contact with EMS ( Emergency Service Providers, and they advise to give a medication,( which you will not have anyway) or if person request own medication.)
  For years, for both people or horse, I carried,  small maxi pad -( as previously described. sterility, generally, not  an issue with an already contaminated wound, just clean bandage; and these are easy to carry, very absorbent. Few telfa pads, and gauze pads in a plastic bag.) Vet wrap, ace bandage - 4" good size for most anything, several pieces/lengthes  of rope, a small hand towel, few plastic cable ties, roll of tape. and nylon lead rope ( though not a big thick one, about 1/ 4 to 1/2"- but 6 - 8 ft long); these can be used to fashion sling, if needed, repair tack,  (or make sponge,  if you forget yours like I have). ( You can even make a stirrup, if needed in a pinch.) Yes, all these fitted in either cantle, or pommel pouch, with room for other "things"; like one of those multi function tools, add whatever, brand name. I also, carried a few benadryl - for beestings, - of course, that goes against what I said about not giving medications. I would not give a pain medicine, other medication, without ??,  ' proper order ' - you could get ' hit' with practicing medicine; not just being ' a good samaritian'; other 'rule of thumb' -  do what 'normal'. prudent person  would do?
    As stated. any injury with loss of conciousness, continued or severe pain - needs 'real' medical evaluation.
    And Jonni you were right - Why 'bite' at post about footwear/ horsemanship/ soundness; especially when not acknowledged by signing.... btw, direct response to - was returned, undeliverable.      Stephanie M
  ..... was not even signed; but struck a nerve.