[RC] Barefoot/Boots - WRSINOSKY

"Do any other people using any boots in endurance see any sort of
pattern emerging in how barefoot/booted horses should be presented? What are
your experiences?"

Toni:  You could have been describing the rides I've attended.  I ride barefoot, have had the same problems with presenting without boots, now with boots, and the little snipers in the back. Since there is talk about T-shirts, maybe we should have one made for barefoot riders that goes something like, "Barefoot Riders. Skin as tough as our horses' soles."

What I can't understand is this: I present my horse barefoot and say I'll be wearing hoof coverings for the ride. Okay. I return for final vet check and they want the boots off for the final examination.  Why?  If Doimas is sore, he'll be sore with or without boots. By the same token, if he's sound, he'll be sound without boots.  So, if I present for the initial vetting with him wearing the boots, why should they be off for the final check?

Most rides, he doesn't need hoof protection.  I never used to use them at home and we do lots of miles in very rocky country.  Since he got the abscess, I always wear his boots on him.  When he's sore, he shows it even with boots.  Of course, I don't ride him then (gotta add that so nobody attacks me), but there've been times when he seemed perfectly sound and I've tacked him up, put his boots on, gotten 1/2 mile away and he starts head bobbing.  I immediately get off and walk him home.

I guess it all comes down to each individual vet.  It's not such a big deal, really. If I have to take off and put on boots a couple times...oh well.  But I smoke cigarettes and my lungs wear out running back and forth.  Give me a break!  (Kidding, folks.  Please don't jump on me.)

In response to the other problem with Epics rubbing the heel.  A woman on another group mentioned using the Boa boot gaitors under the Epics.  For $11 it might be worth giving it a try.  I've only had a bit of trouble with the Epic gaitors themselves rubbing and that was because I didn't clean them after a ride and the sand rubbed his coronary band.  My fault.  Not Epics.

Cindy Edwards
M33041
Buckeye, AZ