[RC] Saddle pad heat comparison testing - Kathy Copeland

Title: Saddle pad heat comparison testing

The Equipedic study also did not take into consideration evaporative cooling and moisture transport which pads definitely can play an important role in. These are important factors in keeping a horses back cool.  The students study showed that the Supracor pad actually kept a horses back cooler than using no pad at all.

Team Slow Poke
Kathy Copeland

> "Hi All, Interesting testing of saddle pads done
> by an independent agency for Equipedic.  Click
> directly on the graphs to get a larger readable
> picture.  [...] "

Yup.  Very interesting...  seeing as the graphs stop
at 1 hour and say nothing about actually using the
pad under a saddle while riding a horse.  The page
only says that allegedly a pad and a 20 pound saddle
were placed on "a heat source" (thus apparently not
even a horse) and mesurements were taken for 1 hour.
The independant study I like is the one done by the
endurance riding student posted a while back here on
RC and done out in CA.  She showed what the heat
profile looked like while actually riding the same
horse for different pads with the same saddle during
and after several hours on the same training loop.

For those who want to know, the Supracor was hands
down the coolest between the pad and the back of the
horse in her study.  I feel OK in saying this as it
is a rebuttal to Candance's email and I have no
financial interest in posting this.

Am I the only one who is getting rather ill of all
of the self promotional posting on RC these days?

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM