FW: Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Woman hurt at Loomis Basin Arena? Perhaps First Aid - Rassiga, MD, Anne

Oops- looks like I emailed it wrong the first time - maybe you will receive
it now.
-----Original Message-----
From: Rassiga, MD, Anne
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:25 PM
To: 'ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Subject: Re: [RC] Woman hurt at Loomis Basin Arena? Perhaps
First Aid

I was a volunteer ski patroller for over 25 years, (now just an alumna) -
and even a doctor needs to be trained in field techniques as well as be
subjected to refreshers and testing.

The NSPS Outdoor Emergency Care textbook ( written by a doctor/volunteer
patroller) is excellent - wouldn't be bad to have in the trailer. This
course is considered one of the premier courses in the country/world and is
used as the basis for many rescue training programs - obviously it stops
short of EMT or ambulance type of training.  It is quite rigerous and
probably more than most would want or need to know, but the training is open
to non-patrollers.  The first aid instructors are extremely dedicated and
competent.  Contact NSPS or your local patrol.  Many patrollers also do
summer work in parks, at events etc.

The triangular bandage is a staple of the patrol pack - I guess you can buy
it, but I have always gone to my local sewing store and bought the cheapest
cotton fabric I could find and cut my own from standard 42" wide fabric -
have fun with the colors! Other useful items are safety pins, seam ripper,
scissors, old panty hose to use to hold on head or limb bandages, ask as a
support for a splint etc, and a few nylon straps with attached velcrove to
serve as fasteners.  The kit carried while riding is obviously very sparce,
but the truck has room - oh also some of the instant ice packs and an ace
bandage.

Bravo to everyone for reminding us to restock our first aid kits (I need to
update my riding aid kit - I have become lazy - I can't tell you how useful
it has been on rides)and having ID cards.
Anne