[RC] Sweaty Morgan - Shauna Jannett

I have a 13 year old morgan whom I bought in Sept. He had been sitting idle for over 2 years and as such was wellll not in the best shape. I have been working him steadily to build him up. he enjoys the work is eagre and having fun doing stuff again.
However he sweats BADLY even after a moderate work out acouple of collected circles at a trot in the arena and he heats up. He of course has a huge curly morgan coat that just gets saturated. He is an outdoor horse, with a padock and shelter and heated auto water he has never in his life worn a blanket or suffered in the winter at all - he is a vision of easy keeper (read fat)
However. I am having a terrible time getting him dry to turn out (we already have ice and snow) I have never had to deal with this before - my outdoor horses always went into winter fit and so didn't get so sweaty or I had indoor facilites for those that wern't. I have to plan for an extra 2 hours to get Splash dry - and it's getting TOOO cold to hot walk a horse that long outside (our arena is humid and he doesn't dry walking in there) Last night I made a point of bringing him in as cool as possible from our ride, they were tearing up a section of road so we had to come over some iffy terrain which heated him up a little - so I brought him in untacked him and tossed a cooler on him and went to get a coffee at the house - BIG mistake he sweated right up! So I almost froze walking the big turkey.

I need to do something - at this point I am looking at clipping and blanketing him - What are my other options if any?