RE: [RC] Nov issue Endurance News - heidi

If anyone read this November issue, please think about writing a letter to
the editor about the LD article.  Although I know they meant no harm, it
leads one to believe that you're only good enough for LD's unless you buy an
Arabian.  That is not how I'd like people to percieve moving up from LD's to
50 END's.  So I wrote a very nice article, asking the editor to check out the
mileage on several Appaloosas, Thoroughbreds and TWHBEA's I know of running
50's thru 100's.  I also mentioned in my letter that I bring 2-3 new people
to the AERC membership and  sanctioned rides each year and none of them
compete on an Arabian yet they grow into the sport to compete 50's with no
problems.  Several of these people have Top 10 horses.  I have nothing
against Arabians, but over the years, a lot of people that would have tried
the sport turned away because they were told they couldn't do it if they
didn't ride an Arabian.

Dodie, I read that article, and sure didn't get the same "take" on it
that you did.  So after reading your post, I went back and re-read the
article, and I think perhaps you've misread the author's intent.  The
author gives two "scenarios"--a "bad" scenario which is apt to drive
riders away from the sport and a "good" scenario that is apt to keep
riders in the sport.  In the "bad" scenario she does exactly what you
are saying--suggests that the newbie is driven away because she has
been told that she can't do endurance with her non-Arabian.  This is
clearly not the author's viewpoint, as she goes on in the "good"
scenario to show the rider with the non-Arabian finding a good mentor,
doing some "fun" rides and LDs on her non-Arabian, and eventually doing
her first 50 on her non-Arabian, even though she has purchased an older
Arabian as well.

I think the author could have made her "good" scenario a lot more clear
by not introducing the notion that the rider had also purchased an
Arabian, but her point is still that in the "good" scenario the rider
IS encouraged to ride her non-Arabian, is mentored, and finds
success--and therefore stays in the sport.

Your point is well-taken, but the author is trying to make the same
point that you are--she just did it a little bit awkwardly.

Heidi