Re: [RC] Nov issue Endurance News - rdcarrie

I didn't take the LD article that way at all.  I believe the second scenario in the article noted that the lady did her first 50 on her old (original) horse, which wasn't an Arabian.  I read it quickly last night while cooking dinner so I might be wrong, but that's the way I remember it.  I took the first scenario as the wrong way to approach someone - with the view that they have to have an Arabian...the second scenario didn't take that approach.  Anyhow, I don't think we need to rehash the breed thing again.  We can all name tons of non-Arabs that have done well in endurance.  My husband does LD on a Paso Fino, and hopes to move up to 50s on his "alternative breed."  <G>

Dawn in East Texas (boring, mainstream Arabian rider)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:51:44 GMT
Subject: [RC] Nov issue Endurance News

Please Reply to: Dodie Sable dodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If anyone read this November issue, please think about writing a letter to the
editor about the LD article.  Although I know they meant no harm, it leads one
to believe that you're only good enough for LD's unless you buy an Arabian.
That is not how I'd like people to percieve moving up from LD's to 50 END's.  So
I wrote a very nice article, asking the editor to check out the mileage on
several Appaloosas, Thoroughbreds and TWHBEA's I know of running 50's thru
100's.  I also mentioned in my letter that I bring 2-3 new people to the AERC
membership and  sanctioned rides each year and none of them compete on an
Arabian yet they grow into the sport to compete 50's with no problems.  Several
of these people have Top 10 horses.  I have nothing against Arabians, but over
the years, a lot of people that would have tried the sport turned away because
they were told they couldn't do it if they didn't ride an Arabian.

And on a happy note, my favorite article had to be about riding shoes for
endurance people. I had no clue that I would be in this article and as I was
reading my magazine during dinner, I spewed iced tea all over the table, my
food, and my husband.  Holy crow, that was hylarious.  I guess my self mockery
is catching, now people are mocking me on their own in a public forum (grin).  I
enjoyed the notoriety tremendously and have adopted my new middle name.  I have
certainly become a colorful character here in the NE (chuckle).

Dodie