Re: [RC] question for legal eagles - Diane Trefethen

How about you see if you can get a 10 or 15 mile "Fun Ride" held in conjunction
with
the next Sunflower Classic?  Arrange to have a special area set aside for your
folks.
It would be a good chance for them to see an endurance ride (maybe attract some
new
blood?), meet a lot of new horse people and you wouldn't have to worry about
liability.  The Fun Ride would have to be open to anyone who wanted to
participate
but heck, the more the merrier.

Chris Paus wrote:
    Here's my dilemma. As some of you know, my farm website
    sponsors a general horsey message board. It's been running
    successfully for a year now. Many of the members want to have a "get
    together" camp out and ride.

    I've said I would host it at our nearby park where we have the
    Sunflower classic ride, but said I'd require helmets for anyone who
    rides. My thinking is that this is an organized event, I'll have to
    sign a paper for the state park system that I'm the responsible
    party. I figure being as the board is connected with my farm and I'd
    be the official host, I'd better CYA in case someone gets hurt.

    Am I right to be concerned? Am I being unreasonable to require
    helmets? Would it be better to disassociate my farm from the board
    and let someone else manage the ride? What are my risks and
    liabilities here? I never used to think about these things, but do
    now, sigh....