[RC] not sound - endurance horses - WRSINOSKY

Well, I must agree with several posts after the person who has "managed" and not ridden endurance rides critiquing hoof coverings.  I quote:

"Easyboots will not make an unsound horse sound"

This is absolutely true.  My gelding is barefoot...all my horses are barefoot.  It wasn't until I started riding LD's that I started looking for alternatives to shoeing.  Riding a horse 25, 35, 50, 100 miles will wear even the toughest hooves.  Isn't that why people put shoes on them? To protect the hoof?  But I am merely reiterating what others have said.

The gelding I ride in LD's decided to get a stone bruise which abscessed and continues to abscess from time to time.  He appeared to be sound for a month and a half.  Passed the vet exam to enter his first 25 miler in over 4 months without hoof coverings, but I informed the vet I would be wearing Epics on all four feet. She was very relieved that I was doing this.  At the end of 25 miles, he was a bit off on the LF (the problem foot) with and without the boot.  We rested him one day and took him out the third day.  He passed the exam, the vet check and aced the final exam.  No lameness of any sort...with and without his boots.

So, as it was previously stated, the hoof coverings do not mask lameness. I would NEVER ride my guy if he was the least bit off.  Hence, the four month layoff.  I don't know anyone in this sport that would ride their horse if the animal wasn't feeling right, be it lameness or some other issue.  My neighbor questioned taking her mare out the second day of a three day ride in October because the mare hadn't drunk as much water as normal.

That's the kind of people who ride endurance, ma'am.  We care about our horses.  If I'm in pain, I take something for it.  If my horse is in pain, you'd better believe I'll give him bute or cold compresses, or whatever will help ease his discomfort.

Cindy Edwards
M33041
Buckeye, AZ