[RC] How much conditioning for a 50? - Jessica Spoone-Raines

I was conditioning my horse for a 25 and was doing around 30 miles a week at a walk/trot. I would say a 50/50 mix. Well due to things popping up we missed another season of rides lol and I have been thinking about just jumping in and doing a 50 next year. He has had the past couple of months off due to me moving but I will be riding him through the winter. He's 7, was recovering to 45ish pulse in about 5 mins after doing 10 miles of hard mountain riding. He's been under saddle for 3 years and trail ridden for about 2 1/2 of them. Do I need to up the miles we ride each week for a 50? How many months of steady riding should I be doing on him before trying our first 50? Should I be trying to go faster on him (we would do 10 miles in a couple of hours)? I should add that he loves getting on the trails and going, has a terrific attitude the whole time.
Jess Spoone-Raines