Re: [RC] favorite rides - Truman Prevatt

rdcarrie@xxxxxxx wrote:

I've never had the opportunity to do a single loop 50 (haven't done a 100 yet), but I'm sure I'd love it. I prefer rides that have as little trail repetition as possible (although here in CT region, with our often-limited land base, trails often have to be repeated if we're to have a ride at all). That said, I do prefer fewer, LONGER loops rather than a bunch of short loops. The occasional 50 in CT that I've ridden that had 25-mile first loops has been wonderful...I've loved getting out there for all that time with my horse. Most have 4 short loops, each followed by a hold...my least favorite format. A few have had just 3 loops, which makes each loop longer...I've enjoyed those a lot more. So for me, I guess I'd say I'd like single loop rides (haven't done one, but I know I'd like it) the best, followed by multiple loop rides with the fewest loops possible. I'd even prefer a 50 with 3 loops, some of which repeat, over a 50 with 4 short, non- repeating loops. I guess it just feels more like *distance riding* to me when I'm out there for more miles at a time, rather than going out for a short ride, coming back for a pit stop, doing another short ride, another pit stop, etc.
I'll be interested to see what other folks have to say...bet the answers are all over the board. But that's the nice thing about endurance...there are rides out there to satisfy every taste and preference! :)
Dawn in East Texas

The Far Out Forest ride near Ocala FL used to be a single loop 50. I really loved that ride. I did two 50's and three 100's (100's did the loop twice) there. Actually repeating a large 50 mile loop for a 100 is nice. You only leave camp twice (in the beginning and the middle) and it's nice to do the after dark part on trail you have already done. The FOF has changed its format with more checks in camp.

Some people don't like this type of ride because of the out checks. But I tell you I really like it. You don't need a crew - just send out stuff. I've done two 50's there without a crew. You don't need anymore than heavy duty garbage bags to give to someone with your stuff in them.

The AERC NC in KY was a big loop and small loop on top of the big loop.

The OD is a big "lollypop." There is about 12.5 miles of repeat trail - out to the river crossing and back from the river crossing. The rest is a big 75 mile (25 mile in the case of the 50) loop.

I believe the Big Horn is laid out similarly for the 100. I haven't been there yet.

Give me a big loop trail any day. In fact one of the reasons I don't have a whole lot of desire to climb aboard a horse for a 100 these days is I have little desire to do 100 miles repeating a lot of trail. Just maybe one way to get more people interested in 100's these days is to come up with long loop trails which are a lot more interesting than coming and leaving camp 6 or 7 times and doing 25 miles of trails four times - with the only variety the order. Are any ride managers listening? That's about as interesting as riding around a one mile race track 100 times.

Truman

--

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)