[RC] rude riders - k s swigart

Rob said:

If moving to the side of the trail when I hear a rider coming up fast
from behind will avoid a crash, I'll do it.

But if they don't tell you on which side they are coming up on you, you
won't know which side of the trail to move to, and if they are coming up
fast, the rider may not have time to switch sides after you have moved
over in front of them....and they will run up your backside...just the
situation you were hoping to avoid.

THAT is why, when coming up behind somebody you tell them on which side
you intend to pass...so that they don't inadvertently, while trying to
get out of your way, get in your way.

You shouldn't have to watch out for people coming up behind you.  That
would mean you have to be looking back, instead of forward where you
should be looking, and it would also require you to guess what they want
to do next.

Far better for the people who are coming up from behind to announce
their intentions, especially since they can see you, the trail, and the
best place to go...without having to look over their shoulder.

I am all for getting out of somebody's way if they want to pass me, but
they do have to give me enough notice and direction so I can do so.  And
yeah, not giving somebody notice of your intentions when passing so that
the person being passed has to guess at them is, among other things,
rude.

kat
Orange County, Calif.