Re: [RC] Rude Riders - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 I agree, during my first 50 two weeks ago, I was relieved that the 25 were starting on a different trail. However, this was changed from some reason, and sure enough I had to deal with the front runners on the second loop. After they came barreling by, one turned and said "we're trying to be polite". Which was more consideration than I have received in the past, but they could easily see me 200 yards away, and when my horse heard them running up, I was on the side of the trail trying to calm her back down. IF YOU SEE A HORSE THAT IS OBVIOUSLY NOT YET COMFORTABLE WITH THE SPEED AT WHICH YOU ARE APPROACHING, SLOW DOWN FOR A MINUTE! It takes time to get a horse used to having others coming up behind them, and another horse galloping from behind will almost upset any horse to some degree.
 Once I was on the second half of the ride, it was wonderful. I have completed 500 miles of LD's, and after this 50 I must say that folks are MUCH more courteous in the 50s. I will do another LD if I have no other choice, and I hated to just throw my mare in the 50s, we were going to do a 50, then a few more LDs, then another 50 late next spring, then go to all 50s that fall. Since my mare and I enjoyed the 50 so much more, we are going to our 2nd 50 late this month. Just going to take it easy and stick to the back of the  pack for a while.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:18 PM
Subject: [RC] Rude Riders

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The problem of flying LD'ers overrunning 50 mile riders at the back of the pack can be solved one of two ways:
1.  Start LD riders a longer time period behind 50's- AT LEAST 45 minutes.  EVERY RIDER is dealing with an amped up horse in the first half hour or so, and having a less experienced rider going like stink and over running you and your horse isn't necessary.
2.  Put the LD's on a different loop from the start, and then they are only trampling each other.   That night solve other problems, but that is another topic.