RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Another Easyboot Epic question - Terry Banister

Hmmm, we just did Davenport Darei, which had tons of deep sand, and there was no rubbing or collection in the heels or gaiters of the Epics on front or the Bares on back. But, I don't cut the heel strap down, so maybe then it doesn't give the sand a place to go.

Howeve, in the past, with another brand of boots, there was rubbing by the time we reached the lunch stop, and my horse was slightly off for the trot out, so I simply removed the boots and completed barefoot (sandy, 2004 Warner Springs Natl. Championship). Having done several LDs and 50s (sixth place, rocky Tecopa Hot Springs), as well as the majority of our conditioning miles barefoot, it helped peace of mind to know my horse's capabilities. When I wanted to move up to doing 100-mile and multi-day competitions, and before I had confidence in using boots for competition, I started all the races barefoot (didn't want to take a chance on boots flying off during the first frantic miles), and put the boots on at the lunch stop to finish the 50s (didn't want any lameness pulls to be blamed on being barefoot). It worked, but it made for a very short lunch hour.

So, for those who are considering transitioning the horse out of shoes, the new, undamaged hoof could take almost a year to grow in fully, and boots will help prevent a lot of downtime. But do work on allowing your horse to build calloused hooves and not be totally dependent on boots. Make sure your horse's living conditions allow for plenty of self movement. And ride some conditining miles barefoot and gradually extend the mileage, and note the hoof condition (don't panic over some chipping, etc.) Keep a regular trimming schedule so that the hooves don't have a chance to get too uneven. The correct trim is what is critical for healthy hooves, even for shod horses. Then eventually, try to use boots just as a tool to prevent excessive wear, and to protect from nails and sharp objects that might be a race ender. If you lose a boot and don't carry a spare, there should be no problem removing the other one and barefootin' to the next vet check where your crewbag would have a spare boot or two.

Knowing how many miles your horse can travel barefoot on ANY terrain will give you some peace of mind during competion. I do not ride my barefoot horse any differently on rocks, sand or gravel than my friends ride their shod horses. True, living in the arid Southwest is an advantage, and those living in the wetter states may not be able to build the tough hoof callouse that has been acheived by some, but I believe a lot of people underestimate what the naked hoof is capable of.

I also feel that the true reason more people don't transition from steel shoes is that the boot concept is still NOT USER FRIENDLY enough. But stay tuned, I think you will be reading more and more success stories with the current hoof-boot evolution. I believe the tides CAN turn and mountains CAN move :-D

Terry
Freethefeet!