[RC] "GL Loading": Crysta - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom,

Ive been reading your Optimized Nutrition Book and
your posts on Ridecamp and am just fascinated. So much
of what you say makes PERFECT sense but seems contrary
to the popular opinion. I had a question about GL
usage though. You recommend dosing 15 min prior to the
loop and then 1/2 to 2/3 way through... Do you have
this in more of a time sense? Im assuming one would
need to dose approximately every two hours as that is
when the curve starts to decline, but wasnt sure on
that. My horse and I are not conditioned for speed yet
so our loop times are probably much slower than the
competitors you have worked with.

Also, what are some non-fast acting carbs that may be
able to provide a slower but more steady glucose
stream? What sort of feedstuffs would provide a slow
and steady increase and decline in glucose levels?
Forage/Hay? Im only about 1/2 way through the book so
that may be mentioned in there....

Thank you for your time,

Crysta Turnage>

Ok, first, let's get the terminology straight. Even though this particular
product is named Glycogen Loader, we are not talking about "loading" here, but
during-competition supplementation--much like human runners use Gatoraid or
some other carb supplement during a race.

In general, think in terms of every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You can't hardly overdose
the stuff--it's been successfully used at triple the recommended dosage. But
you can underdose it.  The very critical place in a race is coming up to 70
miles--that's where things can start to go wrong with a horse that is
carb-short with glucose crashing. In shorter races, the GL will be beneficial,
but not necessarily critical. However, if you start using it during a race,
don't stop--the crash will likely occur more quickly--nothing dangerous, but
the horse will lose firepower and enthusiasm and you'll have to stop if you
keep pressing on. So, if you're going to use it, start it from the beginning
and keep it up until the end.

You don't want to be feeding a lot of bulk during competition. Nothing that has
to be digested in the hind gut to become useful, no bran, not a lot of
hay--just keep the horse happy. A basic low fat sweet feed can fill in some
gaps, and flatten out the glucose response curves, but in frequent small
feedings, not big meals.

Everybody should be doing mock races anyway to see precisely what works and
what doesn't for your individual horse. There should be no surprises on race
day. And for shorter races, the whole process is unnecessary unless your horses
is "running out of gas" for some reason. It's for competitive horses competing
at distances longer than 50 miles. No need to do any of this if you're just
going to waddle along at the back of the pack. Under those conditions you can
feed anything at all and it won't matter--unless you feed too much.

ti