Re: [RC] URGENT request for input on our weird colic - Chris Paus

Wow, Maryanne, my stallion had a similar colic a  couple of weeks ago.

I was working with a colt trying to load him when I heard a thud and some groaning. Szybki had dropped to the ground and was rolling. At first, I thought he was itchy. he rolls a lot just because it feels good to do it!

Then I realized this was not normal at all. I put the colt away and got Szybki up. He didnt' want to stand. He was sweating profusely, but not really hot. His HR wasn't terribly high, about 60. His temp was 101. I called the vet out. I just don't fool around with self treatment of colic.

by the time the vet got there, Szybki had pooped a very loose stool and went from sweating to clammy cold. His heart rate started dropping. It went down to 36, which is in the normal range, but the vet said it sounded 'weak'. His temp dropped to 98, 97. The vet too was concerned about the cold and clamminess. Szyb felt cold everywhere, the tips of his ears, his hooves, his body. He was listless and not interested in much, very unlike him.

the vet gave him some buscoban and banamine and within minutes, Syzb started coming around and started being interested in grazing. We kept him on water and hay over night. The next day he was banging on his feed pan demanding his senior food.

It took a couple of days for him to act like his normal self again. When i saw him racing the colt in the pasture (he's the weanling babysitter), I knew he was back to normal. He's been fine since. The vet said it was some kind of weird gas colic, as far as he could tell, based on the quality of the gut sounds and other symptoms. I've seen colicy horses before, but the cold and clamminess was weird and scary. It just came on so suddenly. He'd been acting just fine all day until he dropped. I shudder to think what would have happened had I not been outside and seen him go down. The vet said we were lucky to catch it in time.

chris

Maryanne Gabbani <msgabbani@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The stallion seems to be pulling through but one of the stranger
symptoms of this scenario is the fact that the horses never run a
fever. Instead their temperature drops dramatically and they go into
shock quickly. If we catch it and hit them with some cortisone, we
can pull them back from the edge but they continue to have low temps
and their hind legs are cold. Right now a filly is fighting for her
life at a neighbour's place and about two days ago one of our
friends, a major breeder, lost one of her main brood mares. Our local
vets are hopeless and have absolutely no clue what to do and so far
our non-vet, Morad, is having the best luck. He is the one taking
care of the filly. Filly's owner called me this morning (Babsi)
because the filly's heart rate is averaging about 70 and she wonders
what if anything can be done to lower it....on the other hand it may
be that it is good to have it high under the circumstances.

We have no idea what we are fighting and are working symptomatically.
Worst part of it is that we are moving into a holiday during which
nothing, but nothing will be open for four days. DAMN.

Maryanne