[RC] eazy boots and urethane shoes - WRSINOSKY

Alisanne:

Well, I've used Stride Equus Marquis, Boas, Epics and Ground Control Shoes (urethane).

Of all the above I've found the Epics to be the best on long rides.  Boas are great for short jaunts, but not LD's.  At first they worked, but once they started rubbing, it was the beginning of the end.  Marquis I couldn't keep on, but I think that was me and not the boot.

As for the Ground Control Shoes, I had them put on my neurotic boy, Sebastian.  He loved them!  They gave him a cushion and he was very happy.  There are a few downsides.  One is finding a farrier who knows how to apply them.  If they don't trim them right, the sides will break off.  It took my farrier two times to figure it out.  They stay on, even though due to their thickness, the nails will push out slightly, even though they are crimped on the outside of the hoofwall.  I did have problems with them tearing up on the sides, but I do ride in very rugged country (mostly granite and volcanic rock).  Consequently, I only got one shoeing out of them in a six week period and could not reuse them a second time.  That can get expensive.  The last time I had them removed (I've decided to go with Epics on Sebastian as well, when I infrequently use hoof coverings for him) the first two inches starting from the toe on the sole was dark.  Apparently, they will collect moisture from being pressed tightly to the sole of the hoof.  Sebastian did not suffer any consequences from this when I rode him after having the shoes removed, but I can see where this might cause problems for a horse who does not have the extremely hard feet like my guy's.

All in all I really can't say enough about the Epics.  The only time I had any rubbing was my fault.  I didn't clean the gaitor after riding and they apparently had some sand on them when I used them the next time, and rubbed Doimas' coronary band.  Since then, I always wash them off with water and have no had further problems.  I even had the cable break on a rear boot the morning before we started out on a 25 LD.  Took a chance and wore them on Doimas anyway and they stayed on and caused no problems.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Cindy Edwards
M33041
Buckeye, AZ