[RC] eazy boots and urethane shoes - Dream Weaver

Other than shortening the time between shoeing, should I consider =
urethane or a composite material? When should easy boots be used? I don't want =
to back off the program, but also want to be sure to proceed safely!

Hi Alisanne -- you should shorten your schedule between shoeings, and also maybe consider the type of shoe you are using and change to something a little more substantial (depending on what you are using now). Usually, if you are using something that is working and you are going to be planning on a ride coming up you would probably not want to change. If on the other hand, you are having problems or not sure something is as right as it could be (you want to make it better), then change is good.

So here is my advice :+). Come out to the Smokey Killen ride this weekend and meet some of the local endurance riders and see what they are using! If you'd like directions let me know and I'll email them to you privately. Camp is in Stagecoach, Nevada on Highway 50 -- probably about an hour from where you are in Reno. The ride is on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It is a 55/50/50 (not sure which day is 55). While you are there you can check out all of the different hoofwear and meet a few of us and ask questions, maybe even volunteer a while :).

If you do want to learn more about easyboots, there is a lot of info on my website: http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/ I like them for the benefits of reduced concussion, on shod or unshod hooves. I've always used them on my two older endurance horses. Then along came Chief, who was easyboot challenged, so I mostly used plastic shoes on him. (pics, also of other users with the GC shoe: http://community.webshots.com/user/groundcontrolshoes & http://community.webshots.com/album/154678121qrrXty -- photos of the GC shoes after doing 5 days in them, they were still thicker than new metal shoes, some horses on that 5 day ride had to have their metal shoes reset during the week) Chief did well in the plastic shoes, but I was in search of something better (as always), so gave in and tried going barefoot with him and using the new easyboot Epics that just came out this last year. He's been doing so well with them that I don't see myself ever putting shoes back on him again. I don't think that shoes are bad if applied correctly. I do like the benefits of having a horse barefoot between competitions and then being able to provide protection during the (training and competition) rides. The boots weigh about the same as a shoe. I'd be happy to show you the boots if you stop by.

btw, Easycare did get in the new shipment of Epics with the new gaiters this week. I used them on the last couple of rides without vetwrapping, and had no rubbing, even with sand and water crossings. They won't have any more of the "Bares" till January though :(, so I guess I'll have to keep using a size 1 on Zenos' hinds, which should probably have an 0. But hey, if the 1's stayed on at High Desert with the deep sand, water, and mud then they should stay on at Smokey Killen which has no water crossings, right? ;)

Karen