Re: [RC] Exercise during growth - Linda Nichols

Title: Re: [RC]   Exercise during growth
Tom,

Does this mean that exercising a young horse is better at building bone than manipulating his protein or calcium intakes? Is this a response to Barb who had questions about epiphysitis? Another question, how much exercise can a young horse tolerate before he breaks down? I have a 2 1/2 year old filly I want to bring along for endurance. I keep my horses at a stable where they have a 12x12 stall with a 12x24 run off the back. This doesn’t give her any room for exercise on her own. Sometimes I bring my filly along for trail rides and pony her. She’s done 8 mile rides with us this way. Is this safe for me to be doing with her? Will it help her build bone to be doing this? How will I know how much trail riding is too much for her?

Linda