[RC] MY ARIZONA STORY/Explain, Pls - rides2far

It was  fun to see the way the westerners run things and how and why
it works
for  them.

 Okay, Angie...the snipped statement has me curious.  Care to satisfy
 my
curiosity and elaborate on it a bit?

Wow.. VERY percepetive! When I went to bed last night with Bill reading
my post to make sure I hadn't said something he needed to stop me from
saying there was another paragraph in the story that that statement
referred to...dealing with the fact they gave no electrolytes. Bill
deleted it thinking I was insinuating "these poor people don't even know
you use electrolytes">g< He was also trying to help me get the length
down and thought that was a boring detail. He's totally unaware of the
recent electrolyte debates on pros & cons, east/west, humidity,dry,
ulcers, etc.

So...basically, what he cut out was that I told that another way things
were very strange out there for me was that we gave no electrolytes, at
all. If I heard that from someone I'd assume, "OK, this horse eats large
amounts of hay, etc". Nope. Heisman ate grain. Not wet grain mixed with
beet pulp, just wet grain. Lots of it, enthusiastically, but he never had
any green grass to graze on, and pretty much passed up the chances he did
have to eat hay since he was scarfing up wet grain. It's really
liberating to do a ride on someone else's horse, with them there making
all the decisions about pace, food, whether to worry about something,
etc. So I didn't worry, I was just puzzled. Didn't seem, in my
experience, that it would work. Worked fine. Hmm. Something to file away
and puzzle over.

The arrangement of the vet checks was probably the other major
difference. Granted, there were only 18 horses in this 50 and I know
there are plenty of rides out there with lots more. Most of the "formal"
design of our vet checks with P&R areas roped off, etc. are to deal with
crowd control. If we had a ride and expected 50 horses or so to use the
vet check and the checks were away we would probably be more casual about
where your pulse got taken (over by the tanks) etc. I didn't see any
CRI's being taken, but that doesn't mean they didn't. I don't believe
they did on my horse but they could have slipped it by me. We didn't pull
tack. You pretty much have to do that here just to get the pulse down,
but the vet did check up under the saddle for sore backs etc. I'm not
insinuating the vetting was lax. I didn't see anything missed. But at our
rides I'd see lots of horses vetted. Out there I saw...us. Really saw
very few horses during the course of the race. No crowds, just another
horse here and there.

Hey, here's one...they didn't give me a baggie to keep my ride card in!
Gotta have one of those out here but not there apparently. The card was
even printed on *paper* (we use heavier stock, cardboard). Guess they're
pretty confident nothing's getting wet there.

Angie