Re: [RC] Clothing & UV Protection & what Color? - Sisu West Ranch

This fall it suddenly dawned on me how comfortable I was when I wore the loose fitting, long sleeved, cotton reinactor shirts while riding in a wagon train years ago.  In the middle 19th century those old guys sure knew how to dress for the hot desert.

I got my old costume out of storage and started wearing the shirt again.  The cloth is unbleached cotton, and rather loosely woven.  Air circulates through it so sweat does cool you.  The white color reflects the IR radiation and helps keep you cool.  I do tan so I have never worried that much about the sun, but after a week of riding, my hands are dark tan but my body and arms are still stark white so it must reflect or absorb most of the UV.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875