Re: [RC] Confusing Terms - DVeritas

In a message dated 10/27/2005 7:46:00 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, MARYYG@xxxxxxx writes:
The winner is the first to cross the finish line.
Okay, the Bushmill's is kicking in...I want to play, too.

The Winner IS the first to finish.
The WINNER of BC is the rider of the horse who, in the estimations and calculations, receives the higher number and the horse the vet "would want to ride".
The Winner of (weight class) is the First to Finish in that Weight Class.
The Winner of First Non-Arab to Finish is the First Non-Arab to Finish.
The Winner of the Turtle Award is the last horse and rider to finish.

Having so many WINNERS might just be hard to take for some...but perhaps, that is exactly how our sport is designed to be..."winning" just doesn't mean a heckuva lot.

And, truth to tell, it isn't even about FINISHING...it's about riding our horses.

I've learned this, once we've finished and proven that the miles are not the obstacle, perhaps going a bit faster (one day) is next...having done that, perhaps Top Tenning is the Thing...having done that, perhaps being First (fill in) Weight Class to Finish is next, having done that, maybe First to Finish Overall is next....WHOOPS....doggone it...could it, in fact, be about Finishing First.  If so, many of us need to revamp our programs.

If not, many of us are just fine.

You know, for an organization who isn't so focused on WINNING, the AERC sure makes sure to have a Winner's Slot available for just about anybody astute enough to dig one up.

The AERC needs to quit being so hypocritical...it IS about winning.

The conundrum is, it's about finishing, too.

I don't want to play anymore.....

Frank