[RC] hot shoeing - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Diane said:

Let's not confuse terms. "Hot shoe", in this discussion,
refers to the method of using a forge to heat the shoes,
not the temperature of the shoe when placed against a
horse's hoof or the length of time it is left there

Actually, if one goes back to the orignal poster's question (see below),
hot shoing in this discussion refers to the temperature of the shoe when
placed against the foot and how long it is left there, and has nothing to
do with whether the shoer uses a forge to heat the shoe in order to shape
it.

Some people, in this discussion, are making the same mistake that Diane did
as assuming that the original poster was asking for opinios about using a
forge to shape the shoe.  And it is, indeed, confusing when the same term
is used for both practices, while clearly the rationale and opinions
expressed about either are going to be quite different.

Part of the problem came when people started using the term cold shoing,
which always refers to how the shoes are shaped.

The problem is, there is no term to distinguish the two practices of using
a forge to shape the shoe but not putting it hot on the horse's foot, and
putting the smoking hot shoe on the hoof and searing it on there.

Personally, I have no problem with the former and consider it entirely up
the the farrier whether s/he wants to bend hot iron or cold iron.  I am not
particularly enamored of the latter and see no valid reason for doing it,
and know that there is a way that it can be done badly (so it has little,
if any, benefit and has some rather unpleasant risks).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

Ann said:

Am I the only person who cringes when the farrier puts
the smoking hot shoe on the hoof and ?sears? in on
there?  Is this really necessary?  I?d like to ask my
shoer not to do this but want to know the pros and
cons before I ?go there?.  Any opinions welcome.

http://mail2web.com/ .