[RC] A Lesson to Learn - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Susie enduroqueen@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to "help out" at a local "mini"
ultramarathon run. It was a non timed (poker) run consisting of about 30 or so
runners covering a rugged off road coarse between 30-35 miles.  There were 5
aid stations and I helped manned 1, 2 and 5.  I came away with 2 VERY important
impressions and lessons we, the endurance horse crowd, can HOPEFULLY learn from:

1.) Part of the trail was deliberately sabotaged.  It was a section that was
run on a trail that was made by mountain bikers.  A section of the ribbons
(clothes pinned) were rerouted up the road about 1/2 mile.

2.) EVERY SINGLE runner (30 or so) expressed their gratitude, either in a
simple thank you, or glad to have you out here, or thanks for your help, etc.
EVERY ONE!

If we (hikers, equestrians, bikers, runners, ATVers, etc) don't come together
to support the multi use of trail we are going to lose the priviledge of using
the trails period.  Put away your prejudices and stereotypes, gain some common
courtesies and respect, join a trail conservancy group and help maintain our
trails!

The next time you are participating in an endurance event, I challenge you to
do one or more of the following: open your eyes a little wider, gain a little
more perspective, realize you are not the only one in this world, express your
gratitude to at least one VOLUNTEER (thank you, appreciate your help, good to
have you out here, etc), smile, laugh, and enjoy that you have this wonderful
opportunity to be with a great group of people, being with a wonderful partner,
enjoying an incredible part of the world (outdoors) while challenging you
and/or your horses physical parameters. It is AMAZING what kind of power that
positive energy contains!  A little goes A LONG WAYS!

In Good Health,

Susie