Re: [RC] [RC] horse living up to names - Mickie Newnam

I named my gelding Akela -- what can I say; I read "The Jungle Book" a lot as a kid. As I remember it was supposed to mean "great leader". He's lived up to it to; all the newbie horses at my barn want to follow him. And though he was goofy in his younger days (he's 22 and now just silly enough to still be fun), he never tried anything mean or dangerous. Even as a youngster, when he'd do the Arab teleport trick, he always tried his best to take me with him (and thank God usually succeeded; he's saved my butt more than once!).
Mickie
P.S. A friend and I were talking about horses taling on their owners' personalities though. My Akela is a klutz at times; neither of his parents were so he has to get it from me. My friend sold a gelding she'd had for years to a friend who was a bit wimpy and the horse became so as well. She gave a mare to her sister who was a bit ditzy and the mare was a ditz too though no one else in that line was. Makes you wonder.

Dyane Smith wrote:

Many, many years ago, I rode a grey arab at a boarding stable who was named Akela. This Akela was a mortal pistol, used to regularly run away.
Years later, I purchased a ten month old colt with the most perfect temperament...until the hormones kicked in. Even though he was a criptochid, I paid to have him gelded at the age of 13 months. Even though my little colt was bay (and before the hormone transformation), I named him Akela after this wonderful horse I used to ride so many years ago. Don't you know, that bay Akela, now 13, still "talks" all the time, rears, and bites. Is afraid of nothing. When a bunch of horses around him were freaking out over a trio of pigs that walked by the arena, only Akela was happy to go help herd the pigs and even touch noses. A lot of this is my own fault, but amazing how he turned out "studly" like the original (to me) Akela.
Dyane