[RC] ridecamp helped diagnosis my horse..... - Karen Sullivan

Sometimes in all the posts from ridecamp, something catches my eye and really sticks in my brain.  Thank goodness I remembered the discussion about "swollen back legs" that was a month or so ago....poster had horse with sudden stocking up in back legs.....and another poster mentioned it might be a symptom of tick fever (Ehrlichiosis).

Last week on Thursday eve., I noticed that Fawn (the 6 year old Arab/QH) had sort of stocked up back legs.  The otherwise seemed just fine, appetite okay, walking okay.....she had not been ridden that week, just the usual running around the pasture; had cleaned up another mares very rich alfalfa (Fawn usually doesn't get much alfalfa), and that was all that was out of ordinary.

That morning I went through ridecamp archives looking for the posts on the swollen back legs......and when I saw tick fever, well, went out to barn to check her when I fed.  Her back legs were much worse....and her front legs starting to stock up. My equine thermometer broken, I ran to the feed store and bought another and took her temp.  It was totally normal.

Called vet and discussed it, she said we could do wait and see, or get her in; do blood panel to at least eliminate tick fever, and blood could go out that day...

Threw horse in trailer and hauled to vet.  Vet was stumped; had seen a couple of stocked up back legs this year with no solid diagnosis; horses had shown negative on the tick titer.  Horses eventually recovered and swelling went away.
We drew blood anyway, and she said to give bute twice a day, and keep eye on temp.  This care and watching caused me to cancel a long-awaited horse camping trip with another horse, sigh.

Legs were still stocked up Saturday, Fawn moving around pasture with other horses and eating like a horse.....by Sunday night all the swelling was gone....still never any temp. I was grumpy that I had spent probably $200 for blood work on an obviously well horse...and missed a fun camping trip.

No word Monday on blood work, legs still back to normal, so this morning I took FAwn for short ride, walking with friends.  She was her usual laid back self.

Got home to find message from vet-bloodwork confirmed Tick Fever, come in immediately for antibiotics (doxy-tetracycline)....blood work looks really bad, compromised liver and kidney function, severe anemia and very low red blood cell count.....she gets shots every other day...

Vet was out when I dropped by to get shots, talked to tech...said untreated Tick fever can be very serious as the parasite just keeps attacking the red blood cells, horses can die, etc...

This is very scary in light of the fact the horse seemed fine other than the stocking up...which went away.  I am very glad I read it on ridecamp...have never dealt with tick fever before or new symptoms.....so that was a real help in encouraging me to just take her in to the vet right away, instead of a  "wait and see."

Thanks again, ridecamp!
Karen