RE: [RC] [SPAM] Rest in peace, old friend - heidi

Heidi,
Many of us have many fond memories of Junior during his endurance years.  He
was always a gentleman whether in the vet line or on the trail.  It was my
pleasure to have spent some trail miles with him and whoever had the good
fortune of riding him that particular day.  He was a fine horse and you're
fortunate to have had another special horse in your life.  I would hope that
at least one of his sons will be as special for you as he and Surrabu.

Betty, coming from a fellow rider who shared the trails with him, that
means a lot.

I've not responded to the recent thread on stallions, as I've been
watching this time coming, and remembering all of the times riding him
down the trail with others, and after 5 or 10 miles, the subject would
turn to stallions, and someone with us would say, "Oh, I could NEVER
ride with a stallion," or some such.  And there they had been, all that
time.

I've always said that there are only two reasons you should know that
the horse in camp or the horse next to you is a stallion--either
someone told you, or you noticed the testicles.  No other reason is
socially acceptable.  Junior lived up to that creed--in camp, in vet
lines, and on the trail.  At home, he was the cock of the walk, but
away from home, his life revolved around his stomach.  He thought
endurance rides were just short little trips from one smorgasbord to
the next.  The rudest thing he ever did was drag you to somebody's
leftover feed at a vet check.  His sons have some pretty big shoes to
fill.

Heidi