[RC] Fort Valley two day ride the trail is improved, some rocks removed. - Judie Ricci

Hi , the Fort Valley  ride was great!!!    The Sat. 50 started at 6:30, it was dark and wet,  we had a lot of rain  Thursday night and Friday,  Pete and I started out alone , late, due to tack adjustments (mine) .  The start down a paved road away from camp, then there is a right turn on another road to the check in,  we had not done this ride before and did not know about the right turn to check in,  so we trotted past the turn for a bit , there was not any one at the turn to direct, then Pete had us turn around, we went back saw a truck driving out of the turn, and off we went,   we were 20 min. behind the start.   As the day progressed  we could see who we were passing , and  we got into the climbs, it is a very technical ride, tons and tons of rocks , some trail with boulders, up , down , flat , rocks, it only rained a little, the horses were comfortable, the trail has been changed and groomed  on a long top piece so you can gallop , We ta iled up a really steep hill I think it is a mile and a half, we led them down all the steep rocky stuff, saw shoes sitting in the rocks  like bones in a desert, the trail is marked very well,  thanks Bob (wrong way Walsh) , we over took Pittsburgh Don ,  the only heavy weight ahead of us ( Pete is one) so we head out of the last vet in 2 min. ahead of Pits burg,  high tail it to the finish ( 1 1/2 miles ) and finish 4&5 in the Sat. 50.    Pete did not get B.C. because Moe got a butt cramp while waiting to present ,  Don did not stand because Petes horse was still very springy, but..... another squall came down the mountain and had very cold wind and rain, he must have gotten cold, he was under the awning in a blanket , oh well , .   Don won the Raffle horse at the awards, :)  ,  we visited with Skee and  Nancy S. and Hubby, and several others .  I took a friend out Sunday for the 30 ,  no rain no clouds, the sun came ou t,  I rode Max Q again , Amy rode Chief, we had a beautiful day, it was Amys first LD.  we came in 3&4.  Max did the 80 miles in good shape.
the trail is different now so those who have done it before will be pleased to know it is a better faster go now , than before.  happy trails    Judie and Pete

Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.