[RC] MSNBC.com Article Clarifies Forest Service Order - Dbeverly4

Following is an e-mail I received from a friend who manages a NATRC ride near San Diego.  Maybe this is a way that the Oconee (sp?) ride can be saved (?).  No idea, but pertinent information nonetheless.

Sylvia

This is a news article about a judges order that affects public use of National Forests.  This order almost canceled the RAHA Rally Competitive Trail Ride this year.  Our permit request to have some of the trails used for our ride on Forest Service land was not issued because of this order.
We were informed by the Forest Service that they were no longer able to grant any permits that required a "Categorical Exclusion", which included Trail Rides.  We were informed that the entire special use permit process would need to be followed, including publishing in the local paper, gathering public input, holding a public meeting....  All just to let a few horses ride on established Truck Trails.....
We were given a "work around" by the Forest Service, where we wrote a letter stating that we would:
    Not charge a fee for any portion of the ride held on National Forest land
    Adjust the fees charged to ride on the private lands to make up lost revenue from not charging for National Forest land
    Have fewer than 75 riders in the National Forest at any one time.

After meeting these conditions, we were informed that we did not need a permit, and thus we could still have our ride.  It was only through the help of the forest ranger helping us that we salvaged our ride.

This article does alleviate the major concerns I had on the order as explained to me by the forest ranger before our ride.  But it also shows how fragile our use of our own National Forests can be.
Bob Insko

Judge clarifies Forest Service order
Clarifying an earlier ruling, a federal judge has told the U.S. Forest Service that while it must take public comments and consider appeals on major projects, it doesn't have to for minor things like hunting permits.
http://g.msn.com/0MN2ET7/2?http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9772509&&CM=EmailThis&CE=1