[RC] pulled shoe - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A few questions I'd thought I'd ask since we're on the topic:

How exactly does a shoer incorporate the angles and toe lengths of a particular
horse into his shoeing technique for that horse? Are X-rays necessary to
measure the angle and toe length?

I'm a relative newbie and my horse has a bit of a clubby foot so the difference
in angles of the front feet noticeably affects his way of going. I imagine that
careful shoeing is important in maintaining soundness over miles and miles of
trail.

Thanks!

~Katie>

The club foot on this horse probably indicates a lameness that is undiagnosed
and untreated in that leg--the horse isn't using it. Sounds like a horse that
cowgirl ed might have shod.

With a given healthy horse, it is probably a good idea to start with hoof
xrays--but not absolutely necessary. Ideally, you want the horse to carry the
same angles and toe lengths in both front feet and in both back feet. Front
angles should probably be between 52 and 54 degrees with toe lengths somewhere
in the neighborhood of a little over 3 inches. But you're shoeing for efficient
gait with no interference--so these numbers are somewhat flexible in moving
toward that goal.

The basic gameplan is to grow as much hoof mass as you can while keeping the
hoof balanced--front to back and laterally. In general, the hoof will grow to
where you put the shoe--shoe full and the feet will gain mass; shoe short and
the feet will lose mass. Most horses are short-shod for the convenience of the
farrier--a too small shoe is put on and then the hoof is rasped down to fit
it--"horseing the shoe".

A large percentage of lamenesses originate in poor shoeing and are actually
located, first, in the feet. If you shoe too long and low, you're going to have
heel and quarter problems. If you shoe too high and short, you'll have toe
problems. If the hoof is unbalanced laterally, another half dozen problems show
up, including injuries higher up the leg.

By building hoof mass you're not only giving the horse proper support and
stressor resistance, but also giving a good farrier an opportunity to work with
something when it comes to balancing the horse's gait.

The very best shoers are those who shoe Standardbred trotters, where a balanced
gait is "everything". The very worst shoers are those with one shoeing religion
or another who, like cowgirl ed, make the same mistakes time after time after
time--and who can talk for hours about their theories but cannot get your horse
properly balanced.

Virtually every shoer you meet will have something nasty to say about the last
guy who shod your horse. That is, they are professional liars. Find a farrier
who pays a lot of attention to the way a horse moves, one who takes and records
accurate measurements, and doesn't horse the shoe to make his work look
pretty--and doesn't really have a lot of time for chatter. Finding one who will
work with a talented veterinarian is even better--but the vet had better know
what he's talking about or you'll have two fools at work wrecking your horse.

Again, Get Rooney's The Lame Horse. Once you've fully digested that, move on to
the BIG BOOK--Stashak's (Adams') Lameness in Horses. When you've digested both
books, you'll know something--something you are responsible for knowing.

ti