Re: [RC] pulled shoe- - DVeritas

You're encouraging heels to contract, corns to form, imbalance in the foot that, when you're done with the horse, will take as long as a year to correct. '

I have had many a shoer, try and curl the ends of the shoes under the heels, rather than shape and clip the shoe properly.  Shoes placed improperly, such as bending the ends of the shoes under the heel, or improperly placing the shoe, will result in contracted heels.   Some shoers hate to fire up the forge, some hate to haul around a forge.  The foot of the horse is not supposed to be round...the shape of the hoof is such as to engender the proper dissipation of the impact forces of locomotion, particularly locomotion bearing forward weight.  Visualize a round hoof loading during weight-bearing locomotion...where does the forward-loading of weight dissipate in a round hoof?  A round hoof actually serves to impede the forward flow of locomotion when each hoof is loaded.  Whereas, a hoof properly shaped and properly shod, will impede the dynamic flow of forward energy much less, allowing for the dissipation of that energy in a manner which impacts the horse less.  If the hoof can not serve to immediately dissipate the impact forces of forward locomotion, the pastern, the fetlock, the sesamoids, the navicular bone, somewhere in the leg, shoulder, back, stifle, hocks....somewhere there will be a compromise in function, i.e., the horse's ability to do what it's supposed to do without undue degradation to the "platform".

On a horse who routinely pulls a shoe, I'd venture to say that for some reason the loading and unloading moments of forward locomotion are being affected.  I always start at the feet...even before saddle fit, rider weight, etc.

The hoof angles of a horse in motion should be so similar to the pastern and shoulder angles as to be considered the "same".

I'm no "expert," but the above opinions are observations I've made over the years.

Frank