[RC] crupper instructions - Jonni

Indeed, lunging the pony, or even just turned loose in a large corral if you do not have a round pen type set up will do wonders for getting the pony used to the crupper. Also, put some feed on the ground, so when the pony puts its head down to eat, the body stretches out, and the crupper will tighten just a tad. If you are handy, you can also do what I have done with all of mine who I get used to cruppers for both riding, and driving. Attach lunge line to halter, and have a second lunge line that you have attached to the crupper, at about 1/2 way between saddle and the tail. As the pony moves around you, every so often, tug lightly on the crupper line, to have it engage and "grab". I found when I have gotten them used to this before I ever get on, then that first downhill, where the saddle slides enough to have the crupper grab a tad more than normal, it becomes no big deal. If you have a second person to handle the lunge line to the crupper, it might be easier for some who are not as handy with that many lines in their hands. Remember, gentle tugs. And if mine buck, they get a reprimand, are stopped, and then made to go forward again, and NOT buck.  Bucking is naughty, and not accepted. I don't care if they were stung by a bee.....mine are not to buck.

I've used leather tail pieces for years, and they work fine as long as you keep them clean, and supple. But my favorite is one that is nylon webbing, running through plastic tubing, that is formed nice like the leather ones, to fit and lay properly. Less clean up.

I ride with a crupper and breast collar all the time. Even down here in flat Texas. Just habit from years of riding where it is not so flat. Many feel that is they are needed, the saddle does not fit well. That is their choice, and I figure they use what works for them, and it may or may not be what works for ME. I am currently using a Big Horn, to fit my wide backed horse. Big Horns do seem to move forward on many horses, but I have a good saddle fit  so I'll keep using what works....which includes the crupper.

Good luck with the pony!

Jonni