[RC] crupper instructions? - Sherman

Hi Patty,

I just crupper trained my 3 yr old a couple weeks ago. I lounged her at the trot & canter and boy did she buck! However, once she was finished with that crupper training session, which included cantering until she quit the bucking (it was only about 5 or 10 min.) , she has absolutely no reaction to it on the trail, and having no wither & lots of steep hills here, there is often LOTS of pull on her tail from it. I couldn't ride her on the hills without it though, or I'd be riding her neck or having to get off & walk down every hill. You may want to give her a few more lessons before giving up, if your horse's conformation calls for a crupper.

We do cover the leather with fleece, not the thick bushy type, rather about 1/4" of thickness, that was cut from robe fabric. I made several so I can change & wash often. Without these, our horses got little rub marks on the side of their tails. We do lots of steep hill climbing, up & down.

Good luck,
Kathy