[RC] Irish, weight, making friends - Cherie

Hi!  Thank you so much for the kind words.  However...I sold a mare that was
doing quite well for her first season to a dear friend of mine because I
thought I was getting something better!  LOL And I had only bought her for
$800!   In fact  I had asked Lela Roby (I conditioned Cat) to ride her at Spook
Run and she placed 1st and BC in the worst heat of the year!  After that ride
Diane Lewis placed 4th on her at another ride only because she had to stay with
a junior that she was mentoring.  So...Cat also is not a cribber, nor does she
interfere when moving.  I'm sure Cat has a really good future ahead of her in
endurance.  So...I sold an up and coming mare for a bomb!  So this really
bites!  LOL

Also, Irish has gained 50 pounds and is on pasture 24/7, is fed beet pulp with
low protein grain/with added fat and Focus weight gain twice a day.  I'm not a
big believer in feeding grain when a horse is not working, but due to his
weight condition I've been giving him grain.  He does not have the opportunity
to crib, as we put him in a pasture that is electric, the only few posts
remaining in the field have hotwires on them.  He is learning how to bond with
other horses and this makes me feel so good because I know how lonely his life
was previously as a stallion.  Even though I know in the wild that stallions
are independent, they are living in a natural environment, not a sterile one
consisting of a stall or paddock and kept from other horses.

 So...I may do what you all are suggesting and put in the time and effort,
plus money (I'm an older 47 year old college student) to try to help this
horse...then I'll take it from there and will better know what to do with him
if none of the above works.  I may have to sell him as a general trail horse.

Take care,

CB