Re: [RC] horse living up to names - Barbara McCrary

A friend of ours was keeping her new gelding here on our place.  She couldn't come up with a name that would stick, until the fateful night he fell into our swimming pool.  Thereafter, his name was Splash.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:48 PM
Subject: [RC] horse living up to names

I recently got a mare that had been named Crash.  The name came about as she crashed into her owner?s lap a couple days after being born.

Unfortunately, she lived up to the name.  She?s 8 now, has a scar down her face and misshapen nose bones and scars all over her hind legs and all 4 pasterns from various accidents.  Since I?ve had her, she?s had 2 accidents that left nasty wounds, but no more scars I think.  One, she decided to turn around in the last stall of the slant load with tack room and got stuck.  The second, walking across a bridge, she decided to jump off.

I was determined to rename her as soon as I got her.  First thought Cash, since it was similar to what she already knew.  But someone pointed out that it wasn?t as if an endurance horse was going to make me money, it was just a matter of how much she cost me.  Since her sire is Medicine Man and dam is Morgaine LeFay, I wanted a witch doctor, healer type name.  Someone came up with Sage, so I spelled it Csage and am crossing my fingers that the name change helps!  ;-)

Now, can anyone tell me how the name Sudan dooms a horse to stupid accidents?  This is a horse I had when he was young and now I have him back again.  After I bought him, but before I brought him home he was scared by a llama and crashed through several fences and still has scars from that.  After I brought him home I neglected to bring him in before dark once and he rolled in a fence ? still has that scar too.  He gained a few dings the last few years while he was away and now, 5 days after getting him home again he managed to crash through a barb wire fence, breaking 3 strands, then finding a whole new place to try to jump back in when the herd neglected to follow him.

He has new wounds from his eyelids to his feet, all four legs, and chest.  Amazingly all superficial.  I?ve never had another horse touch the barb wire (we didn?t put it up, its perimeter fencing for the national park that we are next to).  Well, I hope he learned his lesson ? if so, I can live with the multitude of superficial wounds.  But I think I?ll keep him in at night for a while!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)