Re: [RC] Motorhome Advice - Bruce Weary DC

Hi Karla--
I have used several different motorhomes over the years for pulling horses to rides, so I thought I'd share some of the things I have learned. First of all, engine size is usually decided for you, as by far most Class C and all Class A coaches will have a big block engine--Ford 460, Chevy 454, Ford V10, and the rare diesel. The Class A coach has a sturdier frame, and is all one piece, as opposed to some Class C frames which often have an extended piece of steel welded on to accommodate the length of the motorhome. Not good for towing. However, we just bought a new (to us) Class C motorhome, 23 ft, that has a one piece frame. It is a Ford 450 frame, which is a 1 1/2 ton frame, rated to 14000 pounds. You will need a class 5 hitch for towing. It's critical to keep the length of the motorhome that extends behind the rear wheel base as short as possible. I also like an equalizer hitch, which distributes the tongue weight of the hitch to both axles of the coach. You can get a device called "Steer Safe" and install it to the front axle for greater stability in high winds and when being passed by a semi. And, if your Mom gives you a raise on your allowance, airbags for the suspension add alot of stability. Having said that, our coach has none of these features at this time, and it pulls fine and is very stable.
Our motorhome has a pushout compartment which adds incredible room. This 23 foot coach has more loving space than our previous 30 footer! I always use a K&N air filter for the engine, as it breathes better and adds 5% or more additional horsepower.
I just saw where Winnebago's profits recently went down 19%, in large part due, no doubt, to gas prices. I can tell you a Class C has a better resale value, as they are much less intimidating to drive. They feel like you're just driving a pickup. We are sold on ours, and downsized because our daughters don't go to rides anymore. Please feel free to email me privately if I can help further. Bruce Weary