Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 8:51 PM
Subject: [RC] RC: Alfalfa Pellets

Dressage barn that I trained at in Los Gatos years ago used these routinely as their main feed source.  Horses were all stalled and turned out once a day to a dry individual paddock area.  When I asked my trainer why they used the pellets her reply was simply: easier to handle and store than hay.

Problem is that a horse is meant to spend the majority of their day eating.  I fear that horses that are kept on such a restrictive diet will develop other vices because they have too much time on their hands (or hooves!).  Plus I have seen horses choke on cubes and pellets before and that is very scary.

I would only use these when we go high country camping or on a road trip, making sure that my horse was accustom to eating them prior to our travels.  Soaking has been mentioned, which is a great idea, especially for the cubes.  I personally would not recommend them for the only source of food, although I do know a lot of folks that feed it.

Have you ever been to a feed plant and see how they make some of these pellets?   But then again, out of sight out of mind.

Carol-Mariposa, CA