Re: [RC] Alfalpha Pellets - Chris Paus

All I can say is that in the dead of winter in Wisconsin, I foundered two horses on alfalfa pellets. Hay was hard to come by that year so I was buying the pellets. It is so easy to feed too much of them, as the amount they need just doesn't look like very much food.

I've never been much of a fan of alfafa since. Prefer a good grass hay, but will feed a little alfalfa now and then. You might try some of the alfalfa cubes. And Purina and Manna pro both have  "alfalfa in a bag," chopped alfalfa. It's pretty reasonably priced if you are just feeding it as a supplement.

chris

Catfish Daniels <catfishdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know there's been discussion on this before - but I didn't read it. You
can, if you like e-mail me privately not to clog up ridecamp.

We're having incredible rain storms in this area and some of our major
alfalpha distributors' barns are totally flooded. Plus a couple of days ago
over 12,000 alfalpha bales burned to the ground from a lightening strike.
There's talk that it'll be tough and VERY expensive to get alfalpha in the
area where I live. Several of the locals are suggesting and have been known
to use alfalpha pellets instead of the hay. The kind you can buy in 50 pound
bags or even 1/2 ton skid loads. They swear by them and claim that their
horses get more nutrition that way - and less food is waisted. Mind you,
these good folks are not endurance riders - rather more or less your average
weekend riders, some of them ropers and barrel racers. They like the
pallets due to the fact that it's easier to feed without a bunch of hay
being blown around in the wind, etc,etc.

Well - my question is...have any of you all fed your horses these alfalpha
pellets? What are the pros and the cons. I'm not a fan of processed type
of feed as I always try to keep things as natural as possible. But I also
want to see other people's point of view. Any personal experiences with it
would be greatly appreciated.

Catfish